Close Menu
  • Home
  • Maritime
  • Offshore
  • Port
  • Oil & Gas
  • Energy
  • Technology
  • Incidents
  • Environment
  • Events
    • Maritime
    • Offshore
    • Oil & Gas
    • Energy
  • Advertising
  • Contact
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram LinkedIn
Trending
  • European refiners could drive green hydrogen momentum, with maritime sector playing important role
  • North Sea yields ‘significant’ black gold discovery
  • Falmouth Scientific, Inc. Receives ISO 9001:2015 Quality Certification
  • New leadership for Oceanbird – Splash247
  • Boats Group lawsuit alleges monopoly in US listings
  • Hollandse Kust West Beta cable tests completed
  • New Fred. Olsen 1848 floating solar lead brings experience from SolarDuck, Equinor
  • Strohm’s TCP jumpers make their way to Malaysian deepwater sector
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram LinkedIn
Maritime247.comMaritime247.com
  • Home
  • Maritime
  • Offshore
  • Port
  • Oil & Gas
  • Energy
  • Tech
  • Incidents
  • Environment
  • Events
    • Maritime
    • Oil & Gas
    • Offshore
    • Energy
  • Advertising
Maritime247.comMaritime247.com
Home»Maritime»Six confirmed dead after tourist submarine accident in Red Sea
Maritime

Six confirmed dead after tourist submarine accident in Red Sea

March 30, 2025
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

Egypt’s Red Sea governorate has confirmed that six Russians died and that 39 foreign tourists were rescued yesterday. This came after a submarine sank off a beach in the tourist promenade area of Hurghada on Thursday (27 March 2025).

The causes of the submarine’s accident — weather conditions on Thursday were reportedly clear with optimum visibility underwater — are as yet unknown.

Investigations into the cause of the incident are underway.

The Red Sea governor, Amr Hanafy, says the 45 passengers on the Sindbad (the submarine) were from Russia, India, Norway and Sweden. Five Egyptian crew members were also onboard. This counteracts the Russian Embassy in Egypt’s claim yesterday, which stated that all onboard were Russian.

Hanafy says the six who died were all Russian, but full details of the victims have not yet been released. It’s also being reported that two married doctors are among those who died, their daughters remain in hospital.

The Association of Tour Operators of Russia cited in a Telegram post, says the submarine hit a reef and subsequently lost pressure while at a depth of 20 metres (65 feet).

Dr James Aldridge from Bristol took a trip on the submarine in February 2025. He told the BBC: “The sub was well-maintained and was as shown in the promotional photos.

“Fresh paint, modern equipment and with attentive and professional English-speaking staff (including two divers to accompany you down).”

He says the passengers listened to a safety briefing, which had been recorded in multiple languages, but said that life jackets were not issued.

See also  Dozens Dead After Tourist Boat Capsize In Vietnam

“We toured the reef for 40 minutes. For the first 20 I was facing the reef, the sub never strayed ‘too close’ and I never felt unsafe. For the return trip, I was facing the ocean,” he added.

As reported yesterday, the submarine, Sindbad, sank close to the harbour. It had seemingly been in operation for years and offers tourists the opportunity to travel 25 metres (82 feet) deep.

Sindbad‘s operators previously marketed the submarine as one of the only real submarines in North Africa & Middle East, saying that there are only 14 real recreational submarines worldwide, and two are in Hurghada, Egypt. The trip was to explore 500 meters of coral reef and its marine inhabitants.

Read the latest news about submarines for recreational, and other, uses

Main image courtesy of Sindbad Submarines, via TripAdvisor.

Post Views: 152

accident Confirmed Dead Red Sea Submarine tourist
Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related Posts

North Sea yields ‘significant’ black gold discovery

August 21, 2025

Boats Group lawsuit alleges monopoly in US listings

August 21, 2025

MOL Cruises Names New Ship ‘MITSUI OCEAN SAKURA’ Ahead Of 2026 Launch

August 21, 2025
Top Posts

Duties of Bosun (Boatswain) on a Ship

February 1, 2025

China Fights Australia’s Plans to Reclaim Darwin Port Citing U.S. Influence

May 27, 2025

Fire-Stricken Wan Hai 503 Continues to Drift Off Indian Coast as Salvage Efforts Intensify

June 11, 2025

Car Carrier ‘Morning Midas’ Catches Fire with Electric Vehicles Off Alaska

June 5, 2025
Don't Miss
Energy

AD Ports, ASRY to boost green ship recycling in Bahrain

June 14, 2025

The UAE-based AD Ports Group and ASRY Collaborate on Maritime Initiatives in Bahrain The UAE-based…

Rosetti Marino gets UK CCS gig from Eni worth north of $340m

May 4, 2025

UK and Eni to Start Construction of Liverpool Bay Carbon Storage Project

April 24, 2025

Shipping coalition deploys novel tech in bid to slash methane slip

January 21, 2025

Subscribe to Updates

Your Weekly Dive into Maritime & Energy News.

About Us
About Us

Stay informed with the latest in maritime, offshore, oil & gas, and energy industries. Explore news, trends, and insights shaping the global energy landscape.

For advertising inquiries, contact us at
info@maritime247.com.

Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn
Our Picks

ECOsubsea: Closed-Loop Hull Cleaning Is a Regulatory Imperative

May 23, 2025

Transocean rig on the move as potentially ‘transformational’ offshore drilling campaign inches closer

March 3, 2025

Zodiac Maritime appoints Resolve Marine to respond to Morning Midas fire

June 5, 2025

Subscribe to Updates

Your Weekly Dive into Maritime & Energy News.

© 2025 maritime247.com - All rights reserved.
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Advertising

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.