Close Menu
  • Home
  • Maritime
  • Offshore
  • Port
  • Oil & Gas
  • Energy
  • Technology
  • Incidents
  • Environment
  • Events
    • Maritime
    • Offshore
    • Oil & Gas
    • Energy
  • Advertising
  • Contact
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram LinkedIn
Trending
  • European refiners could drive green hydrogen momentum, with maritime sector playing important role
  • North Sea yields ‘significant’ black gold discovery
  • Falmouth Scientific, Inc. Receives ISO 9001:2015 Quality Certification
  • New leadership for Oceanbird – Splash247
  • Boats Group lawsuit alleges monopoly in US listings
  • Hollandse Kust West Beta cable tests completed
  • New Fred. Olsen 1848 floating solar lead brings experience from SolarDuck, Equinor
  • Strohm’s TCP jumpers make their way to Malaysian deepwater sector
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram LinkedIn
Maritime247.comMaritime247.com
  • Home
  • Maritime
  • Offshore
  • Port
  • Oil & Gas
  • Energy
  • Tech
  • Incidents
  • Environment
  • Events
    • Maritime
    • Oil & Gas
    • Offshore
    • Energy
  • Advertising
Maritime247.comMaritime247.com
Home»Maritime»COSCO Seeks “Powerful Role” in Talks for Hutchison Terminal Sale
Maritime

COSCO Seeks “Powerful Role” in Talks for Hutchison Terminal Sale

July 22, 2025
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email

Chinese Officials Seek Key Role for COSCO in Panama Ports Deal Talks

Chinese officials are reportedly seeking a key role for COSCO as part of the talks to resolve concerns over the proposed sale of CK Hutchison’s terminal operations in Panama and 41 global ports. Bloomberg reports China has set a new condition to give COSCO the ability to block unfavorable decisions as part of the talks designed to gain Chinese support for the deal, which was first announced in March and is still pending approval.

According to unnamed sources, Bloomberg reports COSCO “is asking to have veto rights or equivalent powers in the entity,” that would be formed by BlackRock and MSC’s Terminal Investments Ltd. The sources told Bloomberg, “COSCO has argued such rights are necessary to block any decisions that are potentially harmful to China’s interests.”

Accusations and Negotiations

Chinese officials have repeatedly accused the United States of orchestrating the deal as part of Donald Trump’s assertions that China controls the Panama Canal. They have frequently linked the deal to efforts by the U.S. to interfere with China’s international trade.

These latest developments come just days before the exclusive negotiation period between CK Hutchison and the group formed by BlackRock and TiL is due to expire. The lockup was for 145 days and, as such, should be over unless extended on July 27.

Restructuring and Future Plans

Bloomberg has previously reported that the end of the lockup would clear the way for resetting the terms of the two deals. It is now reporting that while the talks are continuing, BlackRock and TiL agreed that COSCO “should have full information access to the operation.” Bloomberg speculates the terms of a new three-way deal could be settled by the end of September.

See also  Venture Global's Calcasieu Pass LNG Terminal Receives FERC Approval

The original deal announced in March called for BlackRock to lead the acquisition of the two terminals in Panama, located at each end of the Panama Canal. MSC’s TiL would be the lead investor along with BlackRock in the other global terminal operations. CK Hutchison would retain its terminals in China and Hong Kong.

Chinese Concerns and State Involvement

Chinese officials have said the deal is under review while publicly asserting it would harm Chinese interests. They accused Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-shing of being disloyal and acting against the state in the proposed sale. Bloomberg has reported that China told state-owned firms to hold off on any new business deals with the Li family until the ports sale is resolved.

News that China was seeking a role for the state-owned COSCO in the deal was first reported in June as a possible face-saving step. COSCO is a logical company to lead the Chinese portion, as its COSCO Shipping Ports as of December 31, 2024, operated and managed 375 berths at 39 ports globally, of which 226 were for containers, with an annual handling capacity of approximately 124 million TEU.

COSCO Hutchison Powerful Role sale Seeks Talks Terminal
Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related Posts

European refiners could drive green hydrogen momentum, with maritime sector playing important role

August 21, 2025

Boats Group lawsuit alleges monopoly in US listings

August 21, 2025

MOL Cruises Names New Ship ‘MITSUI OCEAN SAKURA’ Ahead Of 2026 Launch

August 21, 2025
Top Posts

Duties of Bosun (Boatswain) on a Ship

February 1, 2025

China Fights Australia’s Plans to Reclaim Darwin Port Citing U.S. Influence

May 27, 2025

Fire-Stricken Wan Hai 503 Continues to Drift Off Indian Coast as Salvage Efforts Intensify

June 11, 2025

Car Carrier ‘Morning Midas’ Catches Fire with Electric Vehicles Off Alaska

June 5, 2025
Don't Miss
Oil & Gas

Strategic Marine Delivers Fourth Fast Crew Boat to Thai Firm

June 23, 2025

Strategic Marine Delivers TMS Tah Muang Fast Crew Boat to Truth Maritime Services Strategic Marine…

Fincantieri Cuts First Steel For Oceania Sonata Cruise

June 4, 2025

Death Toll in Angola Platform Fire Rises to Three

May 30, 2025

Trump wipes out subsidies for wind and solar power

July 9, 2025

Subscribe to Updates

Your Weekly Dive into Maritime & Energy News.

About Us
About Us

Stay informed with the latest in maritime, offshore, oil & gas, and energy industries. Explore news, trends, and insights shaping the global energy landscape.

For advertising inquiries, contact us at
info@maritime247.com.

Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn
Our Picks

Researchers Find Dangerous Levels of Microplastics in Sea Turtles’ Organs

April 1, 2025

20 May 2025 Chevron Oil Platform Fire Offshore Angola Injures 17 Seventeen people were injured, four seriously, when a fire broke out in the early hours of Tuesday at Chevron's deep-water Benguela Belize Lobito Tomboco (BBLT) oil platform, Angolan authorities and the U.S. oil major said in statements.The cause of the fire, which occurred in the basement deck of the multi-storey drilling production platform in the Block 14 concession some 60 miles (97 km) offshore the Cabinda coast, is currently under investigation."All of them are now on land and receiving appropriate medical care…

May 22, 2025

South Korean Makes Second Major Cocaine Smuggling Bust in Weeks

May 12, 2025

Subscribe to Updates

Your Weekly Dive into Maritime & Energy News.

© 2025 maritime247.com - All rights reserved.
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Advertising

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.